We were getting closer to tech, I was seated in the Valiant with the door open, and decided to make sure I was ready. I remembered that I had wired the horn to a shared button...but now I couldn't remember which way I did it. I tried several, and was frozen in thought with a dumbfounded look on my face when Jim Forbes (Squirrel) bent over and looked at me with a knowing smile.
"It's the horn, isn't it? It's always the horn!" Jim shook his head
Busted, just like that, so I had to explain what I'd done.
"How was the trip up from Sierra Vista", I asked him.
Jim and his son had driven their Drag Week car, his blown 427 AWB 62 Chevy II, all the way from home in AZ to the starting drag strip in St. Louis, no support vehicle or trailer required (hopefully). A feat also matched by Troy Clark in his twin turbo 30 model A coupe from Phoenix. I love my fellow AZ drag weekers, but that's just crazy! Boone and I did it in 2006, and we were only 500 miles from the start...never again.
"It went well", He replied, "We took our time, hung out with some drag weekers, used their shop to do some maintenance, it was nice".
We chatted for a few minutes more, then he moved up the line. The next button and toggle switch combo I tried was the right one, the horn beeped,
Jim gave me a thumbs up as he walked without even turning to look.

drag-week-2015-sunday-tech-inspection-162 - Copy.jpg12028749_10153703226993938_522895044952514269_o.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines