"Eventually, she headed off to work, the guy in the Dodge came back with the emory cloth, the convenience store closed, and they shut off half the lights", Boone continued, "So I told them I had to go back to the checkpoint to wait for Dale, and escaped.
"So, then you still didn't get any sleep", I asked.
"No...about five minutes after I returned to the mural on the wall there, Jeffery Lutz pulled up in his Honda, took his picture, and asked me if I knew where his Dad was! I told him the location, and about ten minutes after that, Dale called me to go ahead. When I drove by the parking lot Jeff and the Camaro were in, there must've been seven or eight Drag Week cars all huddled around trying to help out!"
Boone and I walked past Tony's Javelin on our way to our pits, and I asked him what was going on.
"Well, I was back from my run, and noticed a trans fluid leak. Checked it out, and realized the case was cracked, so I asked myself what would the Gebharts do? Then I decided to pull it out and try to get another one and keep going!"
Now, I have to admit, I appreciated the sentiment, but I knew there was more at stake than that for Tony. This is a dyed-in-the-wool AMC enthusiast from the South West, and our Tuesday journey was taking us to Union Grove Wisconsin, which is a scant 34 miles from the promised land of Kenosha Wisconsin, birthplace of AMC. Tony and his 401 had a homecoming planned, and no busted GM trans. was going to keep them from it! He told me he had one coming from Cincinnati, Ohio, which sounded like he was calling in a favor from another of the AMC faithful!

Boone had parked the Barnyard next to Dan Holdren's 65 sweptline when he came back to the pits. Dan was at the festivities spectating, and his truck is equally as popular as Boone's on the old Dodge websites and FB pages. It was crazy how many people were shooting pics of the drastically different "twin '65s"!

Drag Week 2015 063 - Copy.JPGIMAG1106_zpstqq9sopz.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines