We had finished up our 2 lane US67 part of the trip and I let Aaron know that we had to turn left after the underpass to jump on I-255, which would allow us to skirt around the east side of St.Louis. Just as we drove below the underpass I heard a loud whap, whap, whap, sound that led me to believe the header collector bolts had come loose on my side, but when the front end dropped and I saw Aaron struggling with the wheel I knew what it was.
"We just lost a front tire", I groaned.
"Am I clear over there", he asked quickly
I spun my head around to look, "Yeah, take it all the way to the shoulder, it looks pretty wide", I instructed.
Rachael parked behind us, while John and Robert pulled in front. I don't carry a spare for the Valiant. John only carries his 275/60 drag radials, and I have a pair of 235/70/15s on police wheels that we bring in the Belvedere. I asked Skippy to bring me the jack and one of the police wheels while John started loosening the lug nuts. That request meant Rachael and Skippy had to empty nearly all the contents of the hastily loaded trunk. It was almost comical when we tried to slide one of the 235/70s under the 62 Valiant's front fender. These cars left the factory on 13 inch rims, and any 15 inch tire is pushing the limits. I run tiny VW style 165/80s on my 15X4 wheels, and my body guy trimmed front of the wheel opening to allow those a little more room!

We were in the process of trying one of the 215/70's off the front of the Belvedere when a young local named Dylan stopped by with his mom to see if they could help. Once I showed him the situation he grinned and offered, "I got a fox body Mustang at home with Weld skinnies on the front, the tires are pretty shot but I bet they'd fit, would you like me to bring one back? We are only about five miles up the road."
"Fox bodies usually run a short tire on the front", John agreed, "I bet they would fit."
Dylan jumped back in the car with his mom and left, while we continued to search for an alternative. Drag Week teaches you to never rely on one possible solution, or wait for it to show up, you have to try any and all methods available to get back on the road!

12038397_765920336851689_5015090551882214348_n.jpg12046568_765920326851690_6274196028657424609_n.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines