"So...what do you think is wrong with it?" Boone motioned towards the open hood of the Valiant.
"Not sure, it sounded terrible, so I shut it off. Then I re-fired it and it sounded fine, drove about fifteen feet and just flat died."
"Fuel or ignition?"
"I think ignition, but why don't you go get a couple of gallons of pump gas, and we'll try that. Bring back the tow rope also, in case that's not it."
"Alright, be back in a few, but I'm not sure it's legal to tow you back."
"Why the heck not? I've seen it done about twenty times in the last few years!"
"Yeah...but those were racers helping other racers...we're considered a team, so it might be looked on that I'm your mule!"
"You ARE my mule", I exclaimed.
"Screw you", he smiled, "I'll be back in a bit."

The amount of cars pounding the strip had slowed to a trickle, but quite a few of the Street Machine Eliminator guys who were close to the bump were making multiple runs trying to find a spot in the quick 32. The quick 32 bracket race requires you to subtract a tenth from your 5 day average, so if you have a no-bar car limited to 11.50, you want to average 11.60 in order to set yourself up for eliminations. Veterans of the class like Ross Dudley and his '68 RR, and Scott Abbott with his '70 RR, had nailed it on Monday, carding an 11.67, and 11.64 respectively. The problem became clear when they checked first day results though, and they realized that an 11.60 five day average wasn't going to make the bump! Ross' crew was obviously pleased when he laid down an 11.51-120.8, but Scott was forced to try it once again in his Orange beast, and finally settled for an 11.57-120.5. Despite their best efforts, they still drove away from Indianapolis with Ross in the 36th spot, and Scott at 38th...Rachael was 49th, by comparison.

100_6400_zpsqyptg1sw.jpg100_6299_zpsav39kjfs.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines