Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pure stock cars supposed to have stock heads meaning no porting at all ? ......if you stay stock and cant go to better parts how do these cars go from the times of mid 12's ten years ago to 11.20's now. The tune sure dont make up that kind of power...... Ron

Engine blueprinting and tire technology. Guarantee you that the heads are stock, as in unported and with the original valve sizes. They can be milled to the minimum (114.8 for a 69 L88) cc's to give maximum compression, and pistons with the maximum overbore allowed. Piston domes are at the maximum and block deck heights are cut to the minimum, all to get the most horsepower while staying within the "rules". Stock camshafts can be installed in an advanced or retarded position, whichever works best for the particular engine. This kind of rebuild isn't the kind you find going on at your average machine shop, but they are being done and can still meet the stock "rules". Did you notice the close-ups of the well worn tires on the orange Vette and the black Mopar over on the picture thread? A simple change of tires from a new set to the well worn set gained over a half of a second in e.t. Also, a set of tires as they were made in 1969 are nearly as hard as wood, and the new reproduction tires made today are even softer and stickier than slicks were back when these cars were new. All that, combined with drivers that have been driving the same car for 10 or even 20 years, gives unbelievable e.t.'s compared to old road tests where the drivers had the car for maybe three or four days, and took it to an untreated track for their testing.

The above can be applied to any make or model of car, with any engine you choose. I would like to think that if you do so, you will be faster than any road test done back in the day.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.