I know this is a dead horse, but I'm still gonna lob this over the wall...

Quote:

The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags is a great place to have fun with your car, to show what it can do, to run your best and hang out with other motor heads.

But it is NOT a good place to be if you want to compare your Mopar against a GM. The rules are stacked against the Mopars. Some examples:

Mopars came stock from the factory with better, high performance ignition systems. The PSMCDR allows ignition upgrades to everyone, thus negating the Mopars advantage.

I'm fuzzy on the other GM divisions, but for Pontiac and Chevrolet a transistorized ignition (think MSD) was available as a regularly ordered option as early as 1963...this was across the model lines. You'll see it more often on the hi-po Pontiacs and mid '60s L72 Chevys. Matter of fact, this was the *standard* ignition on the L88 & ZL1 cars. Is it safe to assume that no pre-'71 ChryCo cars are running an electronic ignition?

Quote:

Mopars came stock from the factory with exhaust H pipes. The PSMCDR allows H pipes for everyone, thus negating the Mopars advantage.

I've missed the last couple of years, but last I knew the L88s were some of the last cars to switch over to H/X pipes, if they all even have now...I know a couple of them were still deadly quick without them a couple years ago.

Quote:

The PSMCDR allows COPO Chevies, L88 Chevies, Yenko Chevies, the aluminum engined ZL1 Camaros, but they will not allow the Mopar equivilants such as the 64 Dodge Hemi.

As someone stated early, the '69 Yenko Camaro/Chevelles are the only Yenko cars legal, because they started life as COPO cars. Strip the decals off my car, and it's exactly how it was delivered to Yenko Chevrolet back in '69. BTW, the best *2* combinations (and only prior SS/A *legal* Chevrolet entries) aren't even being campaigned yet...and no I'm not talking about the ZL-1 Corvette. I've been begging someone to build one of these combos for years, and haven't got any takers...yet!

Quote:

Plus there is not any real, consistant tech to see if the cars are even legal. So comparing against other cars where it is unknown how far they are from "pure stock" proves nothing.

I *will* agree with you about the tech, though...

Quote:

There is only so much one can do and stay within the rules. The old rules were build the engine to NHRA spec which seems to favor the brand X cars more.

LOL, the irony here is that it was the Mopars that brought us the NHRA spec rules...so at one time they believed it favored them! And now, with the 1.5 points over advertised compression, this seems to favor those low-compression entries (which is most of the field), and negates the compression advantage the bow-ties had.

Quote:

Paul Adams, T-bolt racer and current SS/B record holder and former SS/A(@ min. now) has asked to run in the SS/AH shootouts. He was told no. I'd like to see him run at the SS/AH weight.

Quote:

Why do the SS/AH cars race by them selves? Why isn't it a T-Bolt, SS Dart, SS Barracuda shoot out?

The 64 Hemi Hardtops are a complete different animal than the package cars, with 70 built the numbers are more than the ZL1 Camaro, they should be able to compete in Pure Stock.

The ultimate F.A.S.T B-body.

I would love to see all of the SS/A and SS/AH cars run together, with the same "rules", but it ain't happening...NHRA doesn't want the tech nightmare, and MoPar put up the $$$$ for the SS/AH show specifically to showcase the Hemi stuff (which is their prerogative).

Quote:

As far as "no warranty, no play", with all due respect...... that is simply a "convenient decision" drawn up to keep the Chebs competative.

Its a cynical decision which most MOPAR people are accustomed to seeing from ruling bodies who are scared that Chrysler will chase the opposition away.

Mopar turned the tables and got the L88 bounced from the NHRA guide before it could beat the Hemi cars to the 8s in S/S...I believe this was just prior to the debut of SS/AH?

Quote:

Possibly he may be comparing the slowest of the Hemi cars to the L88 cars. The thing about the L88 cars are if you see one at the Pure Stock drags it's a 90%+ chance that it is a prepared car built especially to compete in the pure stock drags and thus the times. Many of the Hemi cars are driving restorations with very little drag race prep.

I think it's a bit presumptuous to think *none* of the Hemi cars are purpose built or that none of the L88 cars are driving restorations. One of the Hemi cars started life as something else and at least a couple of the L88 cars were frame off projects, so that shoots that theory down...

Quote:

Anyone know why the GM guys get a "pass" on the air pumps? I'm not sure what the complete system weighs (on the nose of the car), but it must suck some power being driven from the crank. Weren't most (if not all) GM products supposed to have them? I'm sure their are some that run the pumps, but most don't. Just curious...

I believe Chevy was the first to heavily use A.I.R. pumps, and prior to '69 they were scarce...in '69 they were hit/miss
(still a hot topic among bow-tie guys as far as applications)...and in '70 while they were generally used there were a couple of applications that didn't get them I believe (L34/auto sticks in my mind?).

Quote:

Nothing personal - but the "warranty" rule is complete garbage.

I agree 100%. A ZL1 is a Super Stocker with a warranty,the Chevy boys think it is less of one because it did come with a warranty.The rules say no factory race cars. The car is not eligible to run in stock elimanator. We should be used to being beaten by the PEN by now.

You need to re-check the class guide...it's been in there for a few years now.

Quote:

Most of the Gm cars are claiming to be running 4.57 gears on 27 inch tires.They must me revving 7000 plus.Sounds like the word pure is being abused.Chevys just cheat better.

To me, it seems more reasonable to expect a hi-perf BBC with a solid cam to rev to "7000 plus" versus a hydraulic cammed counterpart...

Rob Clary Fat, yellow Yenko Camaro 11.75 @ 118, Pure Stock!