MrMopar, said he would never put substandard parts on his car and he likely wouldn't, but many WOULD, because they are cheaper. Money rules everything and I have seen racers do many STUPID things, in the quest of saving a couple bucks.

He also said real racers know better. Yeah, like the couple of real racers that I saw at I-22 Dragway last year, with a 5.20 dial on a car, try to make a pass in lounge pants and a T-shirt. Then get mad, when they were sent to the pits for proper gear. I have seen Johnny Labbous come to the lanes with no shirt, short pants and flip flops and get upset, because I would not let him run. He has run NHRA his whole life, he knows better, but thought he could get by with it, because so and so outlaw track lets him. So you never ASSUME racers will do the right thing, because many won't, given the opportunity to take a short cut.

As far as the belts and two years, thats a tough call, depends on many things. I was a tech inspector for years. I have seen 5 year old belts look brand new and have seen 1 year old belts look 20 years old. Sent more than one racer to buy new ones, even though his were still in date. It is all about wear and tear. Sure many here race pretty infrequently and the belt rule is a tough pill to swallow. But for guys that race 2-3 nights a week, every week, belts can easily be used up in two years.

Doc, some of the things you say......I wonder how.........never mind.

But Tony's trans shield that is out of date....is it any weaker than when he bought it.....no. But has he modified it, has he blown a tranny up under it, or any number of other things......guess what, you don't know, unless he sends it in for a recert.

SFI was created for one reason, because you CAN'T depend on all racers to do the right thing, you must force some of them.

As far as why chassis certs cost more in NHRA than IHRA..SFI sets the guidelines, but they don't set the price for inspection, nor do they enforce the rules. That is up to the sanctioning bodies to strictly follow, or be lenient on the SFI standards.

Monte