Quote:

A lot of what I read is about needing to spend money on tags and belts and this and that, I've always been amazed that people CHOOSE to go that fast, CHOOSE to build a car to compete at that level then complain about the requirements of competing at that level.
Working at a drag strip when I was 16 watching grown men show up with 7 second cars and wanting to race with only a piece of canvis over the trans hump... watching grown men who claim to be as intelligent as they come want to race a 8 second car with a cage that was spot welded in... seeing the guy show up with the top sportsman car with a nitrous bottle in the cabin, no pop off valve, belts expired by a year, IHRA tag expired by a year trying to get to race down an NHRA track... throwing a fit cuz its not right that he should have to do this and that...

I can imagine some "smart" man thinking that his 18 year old 3 inch belts are perfectly fine to run, even if it has integrity issues, and its frayed around the mounting bracket.

I'm sure everyone on this board would never do anything like what I've mentioned above, BUT there are people out there like that, and with insurance rates and liability issuses, there are rules and requirements for a reason, why is it 2 years? I dont know, but I dont care you know why? Because when I choose to build my roadrunner up to the point where I need belts, I accepted that responsibility KNOWING that every 2 years I have to get them restamped or replaced.
do i think about NHRA and the money they are supposedly making? NO, I think that well this is the choice I made to race at this level.

Doug(plasticfantastic) is my driver and I do what ever it takes to
keep him safe.... BUT I really dont buy into the
2 year seat belt thing.... lets say you get out
10 times a year... thats 20 days of racing and the
belts are shot... to me that should be up to the
inspection guys at the track... if they arent frayed
they should be fine for a 5 year period... as for the
non profit... I dont buy that... my opinion if you
want your company as non profit there should be laws
saying NO ONE can make more than 200K in that company
.......JMO