First - I will say that Monte's take on the subject is right on (again) in my opinion. Which is why his input is so respected on this forum.

Second - Enough with the seat belt B.S. - its a rule in BOTH IHRA and NHRA. Does that mean IHRA is in cahoots with S.F.I. too? Not correct in either case. It means a standard needed to be set to regulate safety items, including seat belts. S.F.I. set the standard. It is a standard which not only helps to insure the belts are in optimal condition, but also to cover their behinds from legal actions. Not all seat belts are created equal and not all are properly cared for. Improper mounting, weather, and sunlight wear the material the belts are made from. Yes, if my car sits in a climate controlled garage any time its not racing, the belts will likely get little or no wear. But there is NO way to control that for every racer. So, the minimum standard was set. I am sure it was fudged on the "safe" side to appease the legal department.

So the 2-year belts are a RULE in both IHRA and NHRA - shut up and live with it, or find a new hobby. (this is NOT directed at any one poster - but to all those that insist on beating this dead horse over and over again)

Scott