Quote:

I don't see how any machine could be powerful enough, hot enough or whatever enough to remove 1/2 inch thick undercoating but somehow not remove inspection markings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to show you someday.

Challenger 1, I followed your restoration for a period of time, and I think you did a truely wonderful resto. You have noted several times that you can remove your undercoating with a high pressure wash. I see you have a high quality pressure washer with the ability to get hi temperature spray. I borrowed a friends super high pressure washer (he spray washes tractor and trailers for a living). My California built Challenger must have had extremely thick undercoated as the high pressure washer scarcely removed a damn thing. I had to come back and use can stripper and straight edge blades and plastic scrapers to remove the undercoating.

I have no doubt of your claim, but did you do something to soften the undercoat B4 you used the high pressure washer???????

Yes I used gasoline spray to soften it up, only on the toughest parts. Most comes off the first time around with just heat, then I use a little gas on the second time around.
But I never said it was easy, to hold a wand at 200+ degrees 1" away or less and doing every square inch is not easy. It took 3 1/2 hours non stop just to do the bottem, but it was done with no scrape marks or gouges anywhere. It was completely clean ready for very light sand blasting so it didn't stress the metal. Check out these old threads if you haven't already.

And I'm NOT using the spray tip we use to wash trucks, I use the narrowest tip, not the one with just a hole in it. I think it's a 15 degree one, it would blow off paint if you tried it on your paint on your truck. My pressure washer has a steam valve that really get's it hot, hotter than 200 which is what does the job.
I'm only using light gasoline which evaporates very quickly with the steam and it does not kill my grass, been doing it for over 20 years in my back yard and all my grass is still alive. And I'm not breathing any bad fumes like you do with a torch and scraper.

To the OP: How is using a chemical stripper less intrusive to the enviroment and yourself than a little gas that evaporates before it goes anywhere? web page
web page

Last edited by Challenger 1; 10/04/09 10:52 AM.