Quote:

[quote

I understand that there are plenty of aftermarket piggy back tuners. I think; im not sure though that your tuner stays in the car is that right? I think what the shop was talking about was actually rewriting the factory PCM as to not require an outside programmer such as the one that you are talking about. Many of my friends have non-mopar based fuel injected modern muscle cars and they also have the add-on programmers that piggy back the PCM or stay connected to the data link connector. I dont think Ron wanted that. Westech has teh ability to completely rewrite the software for the GM and Ford PCMs but not the Chrysler PCMs. This is what we were after. I believe that ALL the supercharged/turbocharged and big cubic inch modern HEMI cars all use a piggy back type programmable PCM that works in conjunction with the PCM. I dont think any use just a reflashed Factory PCM. I may be wrong though.

What Diablo Sport has done (Preadtor tuner) has broken into the factory tune. They allow the owner to modify portions of the tune. Actually it is quite comprehensive. Then there are some actual programmers that have the CMR software that can also take this factory tune and modify it even more. These are not actual piggy backs, however actual modifications to the tune that is specifically in your car. Each tune/tuning tool is "married" to your car and your tune. It sounds like the place you guys are referring to does not have the CMR software that allows them to change the factory tune.

But again...it should not have been needed in this case. It is hard to tell, but with the oil consumption (and lack of a catch can I assume) the oil could have been causing the false knock and retarding the timing and fuel. That is just a guess, but in these cars oil getting routed back into the intake is a common cause for timing and fuel retard. That is why one of the first things performance oriented guys add a catch can in between the pvc to catch the blow by.