Originally Posted By TRENDZ
"Of course the firing event happens in the same place as far as the reluctor and pickup are concerned. The rotor will be ahead of where it was with no advance. It does not have to be spot on under the terminal to have the transfer of the spark."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the rotor will not be advanced compared to the pickup, reluctor, or cap. It will be in the same position at all engine speeds.
The only change in rotor phase will happen with vacuum advance or external timing controls.

This is beyond stupid at this point, send me 10000 dollars. I'll take a personal check. Read the following until your eyes bleed. Then just stick a sharp object into them if you still think you are correct.

"With most typical mechanical advance distributors, the weights and springs are located on a plate that also mounts the rotor. As rpm increases, centrifugal force pulls the weights against spring tension and moves the plate, which advances the rotor in relation to the spark plug wire terminals in the distributor cap. The plate that mounts the rotor is connected to the distributor shaft that also spins what is sometimes called a paddle wheel, or reluctor, with 8 lugs on it (for a V8 engine)."

"Mechanical advance moves not only the position of the reluctor in relation to the pickup but also the rotor in relation to the distributor cap spark plug wire terminal."

If you STILL think the rotor doesnt move, if you can possibly map a way in your mind that can happen, go look at the pictures in the article. We dont need to wait for a video. Jeff Smith took care of the whole thing right there. Thank you Jeff, even if you are a Chebby guy.

I want my fair share