wow, look what i started! i should get a share of the booty just for getting all this going!

i looked at my rotor, and there was only one spot of discoloration, all the way on one end. with the cap off and the distributor in the engine, i set the timing at 32 on the damper, firing for cylinder no 1, and then moved the rotor to full mechanical advance. sure enough, the side with the discoloration was not in line with the terminal post.

i removed the distributor and was going to remove the reluctor, and noticed there was no roll pin. the reluctor was fairly tight on the shaft though, but who knows if it moved out of place. i have one of the modified reluctors with multiple slots, and found the one that positioned the reluctor, and so the rotor, a bit more in the direction to bring it closed to the terminal post.

put it back together, fired it up, timed it, but it was raining out, so i didn't get a chance to play with it.

i still have to take the cap and drill a hole and see if it really is where i want it, or if i have to move it again, but i think i'm good to go in that respect. whether the cap needs more ventilation, i'll try that if i still have problems.