Quote:

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the board. Always great to have experienced engine builders adding their knowledge to the forum.

I spent a lot of years in Idaho growing up but I haven't been back in awhile.

My 514 is underperforming if anything. A lot of guys are making way more power per cubic inch than I'm getting out of this motor. Have you worked on the EZ heads much? You sure got some great numbers out of those cast iron heads.

Thanks, Andy

Yes, I agree, there is more remaining in the 514.

As to the EZ heads, I picked up a set 18 months ago and spend a day fiddling with them and they went to 350cfm. I thought, "That's enough for now," and put them back on the shelf. Still gathering dust, but some day.....I'll turn them over to my son.

My son Cody is our real head porter. The iron heads are a result of an article by Cam Benty in the Dec, 1982 issue of Popular Hot Rodding. Cam did an article on my Dad's 440 and my son read it in 2004. Cody wanted to attempt what Dad had done back then, pulled out the old flowbench and began destroying cylinder heads. He finally figured it out after producing a huge pile of scrap iron.

In 2008 I was running 906 heads on my 451" Road Runner at the chassis dyno at Westech. I had a 383 on the engine dyno at the same time and when I came out of the dyno room, some guy was taking pictures of the Road Runner on the rollers. It was Cam Benty. He wanted to know how the 451 was making 554 RWHP on 91 octane and a single 4bbl. We started talking about the cylinder heads. He was interested in doing an article about the 906 heads but it never happened. I did however, get his autograph on a copy of the article about my Dad.

Enough, I thought this was supposed to be about your 514.

I really like those Super Performance gaskets you use. I've used other types and it took dynamite and tire tools to remove the intake. With the Super Performance gaskets I just unbolt and lift. Rats, I went and looked at the package, they are Superformance gaskets.

Last edited by heyoldguy; 10/27/11 11:52 AM.