Quote:

I think they should restore it the same way that people restore other valuable cars that are total basket cases. That means thousands of man hours, body swap, whatever it takes. I don't see this car as any less important than cars that are supposedly worth millions of dollars.

And after it is meticulously restored, it should be buried again (with a new time capsule), except this time it should be done right. Then it can be unearthed for the 150th anniversary to start the process all over again. That way, each generation can contribute to the history of the car, and there will always be people alive with a personal stake in the car. Otherwise, everyone who had anything to do with it will eventually die and it will become just another museum piece. If you did this every 50 years, people old enough will remember the last time it was unearthed, and some of the people who helped will still be around no matter how old the car becomes.

I am telling you from experience, it is not worth it with a high profile car such as this. There will always be the people that see cutting up the car to preserve it as wrecking it and the end product being just a 'clone' of what it was.

The car should be sealed in an airtight glass display case of sorts. Without oxygen the rust will stop.