Quote:

Can a judge tell you it's wrong, because he or she has not seen that on other cars or in a manual?

Hi Alan,
I can't comment on every venue that is judging Mopar vehicles but I have never seen a scenario where ANY of the judges at the Columbus Nationals have used such a narrow minded approach with their Judging. Keith Rohm has been involved for many YEARS with this Hobby and has done the type of research that is necessary to distinguish the variations I referred to. His back ground comes from the assembly plants so he has "book" and "street" smarts when it comes to how these vehicles were manufactured! I have spent HOURS talking to him about the Ins and Outs of the judging process. Try not to assume that the judges are oblivious to many of the "quirks" that you have made reference to. Being able to identify the "engineered footprint" of a vehicle as well as the "human" element of the vehicle (paint runs, etc...) is what separates the really good Judges from the bad ones! They are aware of how things were done at the factory and can recognize the fashion in which they were replaced or restored.

An area of a car can be refinished with correct parts but the thought process or common sense aspect of the job may not appear right. It is one thing to know how something was done but another to make it look correct. For instance, how many of you have seen exhaust manifolds that exhibit over spray and were INTENDED to look factory correct? Some of these manifolds exhibit a light, fogged over spray but the part they are bolted to (the head) has a heavy application of paint. That is a mental mistake in the process! Someone obviously painted the manifold off of the engine while attempting to manipulate the paint coverage on the parts. It is impossible to have two pieces bolted together, painted at the same time and the parts exhibit a different paint pattern. I have seen the same thing with Starters and the over spray pattern on their aluminum housing. If it was painted together....PAINT IT TOGETHER! The WORST is the OE cars that were painted one section at a time. This can be done BUT it is usually hard for the painter to consistently be aware of where they are at in the process and usually screw up with the transitions from one area of the car to another. They get paint on the back side of frame rails and areas that show inconsistent spray patterns and directional flow. There are MANY other contradictions with restoration processes but THOSE are the things that usually get the point deductions in OE judging, NOT a bolt or screw that might exhibit a variation. If it appears to have been Restored or manipulated.......start all over!! It HAS to look like it was never touched or messed with!