Quote:

O.K. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. What really constitutes an NOS part? Something thats been sitting on a shelf for 20 to 40 years, or something of recent manufacture that is Licensed and built to the Manufacturers Specifications by a licensed Parts supplier?

As most of you probably don't know every Auto Mfg. has / had multiple suppliers for the same parts. Each supplier was given a set of "Blueprint Specifications" and built the parts to those specs. However there are plus / minus tolerances within all specifications, so you could end up with a part that didn't fit eactly right during production and afterward when the Vendor/supplier made replacement parts. that's why you see variation within the same part when looking / comparing multiple examples of like parts. ie. '70 Cuda Grills variation in the argent paint color - some light, some darker ! Which one is Correct? They both were ... LOL

So how can anyone reasonable say "What is Right" for these cars?

In my opinion after 34 years of working in an Auto Mfg. Plant, I believe that any part manufactured under License and built to the Manufacturers specifications constitures an "NOS" part. Regardless of build date.

Most of you out there call them Repo parts, but suppliers like BEA (as an example) that are licensed and provide the part numbers cast or stamped/painted into the parts and built to Manufacturers Specifications are building NOS parts.

The distinguishing difference is the Date of Build that is generally cast or stamped on a part.

That in IMHO is the only way to seperate the two.

However now you can get correctly date coded NOS / Repo parts for the cars so if they are cast with the part numbers and proper dates, one would have to reasonale accept them as OEM or NOS as long as they are produced under proper licensing and built to spec.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just expressing a different perspective on this subject.

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

Very well put, we are fighting a battle that can not be won. Whether we like it or not, the term “OE” means original equipment and nothing less than that. "OE" parts are assembly line when built parts a not a part that was made a day after the vehicle build date.

Judging, oh boy, hope this isn’t taken the wrong way. There isn’t a judge on the planet qualified to judge an entire car to a true absolute "OE" status. Lets face it, unless you put together a group of guys that live and breath a specific model, say an ebody, that can “Helen Keller” a screw and tell you where it goes, with documentation, not to mention different years there will always be room for opinions to contradict the judging. I’ve been working on ebodies all my life, I don’t consider myself anywhere near an expert.

I truly understand the thought process that Dave Wise had when developing his judging criteria using red/black points and I applaud him for that. It allows more people to restore their cars and participate in this awesome hobby we all get so snotty about. I am grateful for what he has been able to accomplish and share with us. However, there is a big difference between true "OE" and what is being judged under their "OE" judging criteria. The term “OE” has no business in this type of judging, call it something else, anything but “OE”.

We complain about the guys that have the knowledge and finances to achieve “true” gold, it’s not for everyone, fact is, I’ll bet of all the cars judged gold many would not make the grade if judged with the absolutes it takes to get there. Let’s not dilute the true meaning of “OE Gold”, lets applaud the ones that have made it there. Let’s face it, 99% or more of us restoring cars, myself included, don’t make the grade to walk in that upper echelon of factory perfection.

Both of you ,,,VERY well said.
Thats worth both and