Quote:

Quote:

This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

I don't see this as a new train of thought at all. When I judge a car I only scrutinize and compare the parts with parts that would have come on the them on the production line, there is no other "correct" period (IMHO). Anything else with a visible difference of any kind is a deviation of one sort or another and would lose points accordingly.

On the topic of a part being classified as a reproduction part vs a service replacement/continuation part. That's a little harder to define and I'd agree there are points where the lines get blurry for sure. Another blurry line would be the subject of which reproduction part or continuation part is the "best" in terms of matching a production line example. Since VERY few "Perfect" reproduction parts (Perfect being that they are indistinguishable to ANY degree as compared to production line examples) exist, there is a bit of subjectivity involved in making a call on which of them is the best replacement part, and along that line, which of them might garner more points in a judging situation.

O.K. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. What really constitutes an NOS part? Something thats been sitting on a shelf for 20 to 40 years, or something of recent manufacture that is Licensed and built to the Manufacturers Specifications by a licensed Parts supplier?

As most of you probably don't know every Auto Mfg. has / had multiple suppliers for the same parts. Each supplier was given a set of "Blueprint Specifications" and built the parts to those specs. However there are plus / minus tolerances within all specifications, so you could end up with a part that didn't fit eactly right during production and afterward when the Vendor/supplier made replacement parts. that's why you see variation within the same part when looking / comparing multiple examples of like parts. ie. '70 Cuda Grills variation in the argent paint color - some light, some darker ! Which one is Correct? They both were ... LOL

So how can anyone reasonable say "What is Right" for these cars?

In my opinion after 34 years of working in an Auto Mfg. Plant, I believe that any part manufactured under License and built to the Manufacturers specifications constitures an "NOS" part. Regardless of build date.

Most of you out there call them Repo parts, but suppliers like BEA (as an example) that are licensed and provide the part numbers cast or stamped/painted into the parts and built to Manufacturers Specifications are building NOS parts.

The distinguishing difference is the Date of Build that is generally cast or stamped on a part.

That in IMHO is the only way to seperate the two.

However now you can get correctly date coded NOS / Repo parts for the cars so if they are cast with the part numbers and proper dates, one would have to reasonale accept them as OEM or NOS as long as they are produced under proper licensing and built to spec.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just expressing a different perspective on this subject.

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

OK,

But then can we at least throw out the parts that are made in China?

MB