Quote:

Why have none of you guys in the know responded to my post? Is it still the same and a touchy suBject?

"I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Hi Darryl,
What response were you looking for? It is certainly your prerogative NOT to be involved with OE vehicles or to feel upset about the judging programs. One question I have after reading your view is......why request or rely on a judging manual when you pretty much have concluded that there is too much "latitude" in the process? One thing to remember is that Corvettes are the exception when it comes to "manuals" and protocol for factory procedures. They were ALL built at one location so it is fairly simple to accurately document how things were done. There was also just one platform or model of vehicle being built at that Corvette facility. All other "non specialty" cars were built in various plants scattered across the country and MANY different models were constructed under one roof. Confusion and process overlap were build characteristics that showed up on many of the original Chrysler vehicles.

If you rely on someone's lead, opinion or rule of thumb, two things usually take place. Number one you are investing significant time and money on concepts that might or might not be correct. Second, you cheat yourself of knowledge that is gained from the "personal" aspect of the project. It takes more time and effort but in the end you won't be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out whether or not your efforts have been in vain! If you do the research with no preconceived expectations and document the original characteristics for what they are, then no one can argue whether or not it is correct. Do the research, accurately process and document the facts, incorporate them accurately in your restoration and you have won the battle! It doesn't leave much room for judging interpretation or error does it!?