Quote:

Fact: You want it to run strong on 91 (fast curve). You have little/no quench. (1) pick the cam YOU want (2) Pick a head gasket(s) that will get the SCR down to where the DCR will not ping on 91 & let you run a fast curve.

IMNHO no way is quench by itself going to take care of the SCR being that high with crap gas plus you dont have the cam you'd like. I dont think you want to go back into the shortblock so dont take my ramblings serious

I like your way of thinking.
For the most part, I am okay with this cam if the engine didn't knock. The idle is decent and with 110 fuel, it runs stronger than it ever has. I expect it to run even better with more spark advance once I lower the CR. It isn't quite as snappy from a start as the 509 but sure feels stronger from the midrange and up.

Maybe I am asking for more than the engine can give. I like the idea of having serious low and midrange power, but doesn't that often mean using a cam that builds more cylinder pressure? The only reason I went with the Lunati solid was to reduce cylinder pressure. THAT totally backfired. I've had trouble finding accurate specs on the Mopar 509 cam intake closing point. The site below shows the specs but I'm not confident that they tell the whole story:

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm#b

Months ago when I was looking at a cam swap as a cure, the only user-friendly online dynamic compression ratio calculator I could find was from Kieth Black. The section where you enter the intake closing point asked for the actual number on the cam card, plus 15 degrees. My Lunati card shows 56.5, add 15 degrees and it comes to 71.5. The link above shows what may be a "gross" number of 74 degrees for the 509 cam. Maybe this is similar to how MP refused to list the @ .050 cam duration for so many years.
IF the MP 74 degree number is an accurate spec, this means that the "bigger" Lunati cam actually has an earlier intake closing. This is likely to be true since the cranking compression went UP by an average of 3 psi per cylinder after installing the Lunati cam.

I agree that while quench may be helpful, I just can't see how going UP in compression to get quench would work out for me.
IF I were somehow able to maintain the same CR while improving quench, I could see that maybe being effective.

Last edited by Frankenduster; 09/21/13 02:53 AM.