A few comments I have so far from what I have read:

You are causing more issues by retarding the timing so far! You need to advance the base timing back to at least 10*. Having the timing so far retarded will cause the glowing headers and hot condition among other things. 10* is a good place to start but you will probably end up running 14-16* base for a total of 36* or so but get to at least 10*!

As mentioned previously, this sounds like a vapor lock issues. One thing you may check (if you haven't already) is will the car start again after it dies (fuel pressure drop)? If the issue were vapor lock, most likely the car would not restart until it cooled off or at least would be a bear to get going again.

I had an issue similar to yours last year into this past winter where my car would run for 10-15 minutes beautifully, and then idle down and cut off. It turned out it was a partially failed fuel pump! One of the delivery valves within had a chunk missing which would eventually cause the pump to cavitate and lose pressure...like a cutoff almost.

Also for the record, glowing headers is not necessarily from a lean condition, but can also be caused by an overly rich condition! Pull one of the spark plug wires and run the engine and watch that cylinder begin to glow! Not your issue here (yours is timing) but wanted to point that out.

I know you said you had pinging, but you need to pull that timing back up! Remember to re-adjust your idle screws on the carburetor once you do that. I am thinking the pinging is caused by/related to the fuel delivery issue you have and/or you have cruddy fuel...

Good luck!