Quote:

Okay. Here is a shorter version of what you said:

Quote:

Here are a couple of my take-aways:
1) the Carb idled okay before, so it is probably not broken.
2) The carbs primary circuit may have been lean in the past causing your detonation.
3) If you did not have a fuel pressure gauge before, It too could have caused a lean condition causing ping if it were too low.
4)at 190 psi, you were on the edge but should be doable w/ pump gas.
5)Some Brakleen are not flammable, use a carburetor cleaner,

Try these and report back:

Choke the carb and see if engine rpm picks-up.
Check ignition timing in neutral and in gear.

Also, What torque converter do you have? The in gear rpm might need to be set higher than 800 rpm with the new cam

Your summary is better than mine and 100% accurate!
* I have no choke on the carb, but when I put my hands over the throat at idle, it changes nothing. I sprayed Ether and Brakleen (GREEN can) down the throat, the idle speed does increase.
* Ive had a guage in the fuel line since installing this carb. It is pretty consistant at 6 psi at idle, dropping only slightly during sustained 3000+ rpms in Park.
* I have not checked cranking PSI since the cam swap. It is probably lower than the 190 number now.
* I will try checking the timing when shifting from park to drive.
* I am going to have Jeff watch the guage as I spray carb cleaner around everything again.
* The torque converter is a 9 3/4" unit with a stall of just under 3000.
I just came back from the store with some carb gaskets and some Brake cleaner. I probably have some carb cleaner here I can try. I also have small Propane and Mapp gas cylinders I could use.