More Updates:

* The timing jumps a bit while the engine is running, fluctuating about 3 degrees. I average the sweep to the middle. When at idle, it is at 19. When shifted into gear, the timing stays the same.
* The carb HAD a choke, but I removed it along with all of the associated linkage. Putting my hands over the air horn does not form an effective seal.
* I had Jeff in the car as I sprayed Brakleen around all possible vacuum entry points. I had him watch the Air/Fuel guage. The only time the guage responded was when I sprayed into the carb throat. No leaks at the baseplate, vacuum fittings, PCV, throttle shafts or anywhere along the intake ports.
I put on a stock Holley 750 VS from another car. The vacuum numbers came up a bit. I got 11.5" in Park @ 1100 rpm and almost 7.0 in gear @ 850.
The A/F numbers with the 750 impressed me.
Idle: 13.8 to 14.2
In gear: 14.2 to 14.6
In gear w/pwr brake: 13.8 to 14.5.

This at least tells me that the 750 is in the range of tuning. The 850 keeps going totally lean when any load is applied off idle.

The 1000-1100 idle is set where it was before the cam swap. I only set it back there to have a baseline. When put into gear, The car doesn't try to pull away at that speed. I can raise it even higher if need be. I thought that the idle speed is supposed to be set as low as possible while not being lazy to respond. If it idled at 1500 or more, it seems like it would "diesel" on shutdown.

Last edited by Frankenduster; 09/02/13 08:28 PM.