Quote:

Just like learning how to save up money..............

it takes discipline............

to stick to a totally matched system for best results/happiness.

A single-plane Holley SD intake, 800cfm DP car and a the lumpy cam of the month isn't going to be real good on gas. And when a punk in his 302 2 barrel Ford runs away from you at a light it will just add insult to injury. More like 600-625 Holley or AFB, Eddy Performer and the cam mentioned here.............

The combo i laid out here IS nicely matched... you gotta give it that. In fact, not having a bit more compression and any quench aside, i'd say its near-perfect for a thrown together plant. Maybe not for mileage... but like i said, i have no illusions there. As far as i'm concerned anything involving a 383 will be bad on gas already, as compared to the options.

How exactly will a 302 2bbl run away from me at the light? I dont race from the light... its not a drag car. I'll find that 302 punk in the canyon...

Quote:

The factory 335HP RR repro cam, or something similar, would be a better compromise that would still have a little rumble. Narrow lobe center cams typically, by nature, hurt mpg.

And this point is always going to be personal preference, but i find nothing mean sounding or 'rumbly' about a factory 383 Magnum cam. If i was going to go as far as a 'mileage' or compromise cam, i'd get one specifically made for that and have NO coolness coming out ov the pipes. I dont believe in half-measures... its gotta be one extreme or the other. Compromise never ever seems to make me happy... i ALWAYS wish i'd either gone with the tiny, or the biggest engine... the 2.76 or the 4.10 gears, etc. At least its good at something.

Quote:

I know you've already made up your mind on the cam and everyone including the experts have tried to talk sense here but it just had to be said.

Hey man, i'm always listening. I take it all in... and love the fact that theres 6 pages ov opinions on this. I'm open-minded. I just have a certain vision and purpose for this car... they DONT mesh... (they could if i was rich, but i'm not), so i'm just trying to get a bit ov everything.

Quote:

And I won't even get into the time wasted polishing the proverbial turd when it comes to used, but marginally, good shortblocks with recon'd heads. Done tried it, motor ran great for a year and then when to mud after that quickly. A good test for worn rings. Have fun.

Again you have to understand my point... and that i've NEVER had a rebuilt engine... so i have nothing to compare used engines to. I've had MANY runners... just pulled out and dropped in... and most have been fine. The ones that weren't usually had some glaring warning signs. Nothing wrong with a used engine. Half the hotrods on this forum are technically running hard on used engines... not everything here has less than 50K on it.

And hopefully within a year i'll be finding something better to drop in it. This 383 is and was always (for me) a temporary fix. If the MPG does turn out to rival my Chargers... well then that will really kickstart my quest for a better alternative. Been looking up ways to squeeze power out ov a 5.2L Magnum the last couple days...