Quote:

To me it really depends on what your definition of power is?
Torque to get you moving,or power up top during a high rpm blast?
I see people comment that they would rather have a 383 to get the torque of a big block,but the 360 has a longer stroke than a 383. The 360 having a longer stroke and smaller port cross section will make more torque similarly equipped
Where a 383 shines,in my opinion,is its short stroke,big bore,and decent cross section for the cubic inches. They like to turn some rpm to make some power upstairs . Those 516 heads are not a bad piece either,closed chambers for decent quench.
I also think one of the advantages of the Magnum heads is the flow they get with the smaller valves than a similar flowing LA style head. This keeps the valve further away from the cylinder wall and helps keep from shrouding the valve as much with the small bores.
Keith

Exactly my thinking when starting this thread. Now, add to this the Magnums roller technology over the 383's flat-tappet hydraulic, and the better shaped chambers... And then there is the rather huge difference in reciprocating weights, and as mentioned before, the apparently much better chance ov finding a nicely sealed and much newer engine in general (than my nice but 45 year old 383).

I actually really like RPM's (i WAS gonna build a stock-stroke 400 with ported B1BS heads and a tunnel ram for this car...), and my car is light with a stick... but right now what i want and what i need are probably two different things. I'll still do the 383 right now... i have to, its all there and ready to go, but i think i will be planning to go small block at the first opportunity.