Quote:

Quote:

I know you said you don't want the NV trans...mine held just fine with at least 400 ft lbs of torque at the crank...with street tires. I know a guy who's got his reg cab dakota into the 13s on slicks with a supercharged 318 and an NV3500.

if you keep your build mild, the 3500 will work ok.

or, you can source the Supra trans, those are much beefier than the NV3500, and some guys have put them behind their small blocks with the AX-15 bell housing.

but in general, yea, if you go with a TKO or a T-56, it's the same cost regardless of if you go small block or big block, the only part that's different between the 2 is the bell housing and possibly the flywheel depending on how your engine is balanced.

Dont get me wrong, after reading about the NV stuff i got all excited too... the gear spreads alone sold me... but again, not a simple bolt-in, and worse even than the Supra route. I'll hack my floors for a T-56 when the time comes (no time soon...), but not for a NV unit. Its not the power capacity... i doubt i'll exceed 400HP in any incarnation... this is a daily driver to have fun with, not a street incinerator. The NV sounds like a nightmare to fit and the shifter will be off as well.

SOOOO... unless i have the space and time to mess with the Supra install... i guess the OD stick is still gonna cost me dearly. Damn.

not necessarily....I'd really low buck it, forgo a gear and get an A833OD....with a mildish (say, under 226@.050) wide LSA cam (something in the 112 LSA) installed at 108, it should give you a wide enough powerband and flat torque curve to deal with the gear ratio spread (IIRC it's 3.09/1.74/1/.73)

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)