Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was a NMCA class I believe. It would have been all the Manufacturers. I only remember the 62-65 cars in that class. The 409 Chevys would have been at 3000 and the Hemi at 3400. A guy in our club named Jess Jordan ran the class and I remember him complaning about the weight brakes. He ran 64 Plymouth Hemi.

Thats 4 tenths he has to make up which I find it also wrong that the hemi had to weigh more..

It was a NSCA class. We ran a Hemi 65 Dodge a few years before the end. If I remember right we had to weigh 3600lbs with a .060" over 426 Hemi. At that time we could run 9.20. There were never more than a handfull of entrys. 2-3 Mopars,2-3 Pontiacs,2 Chevys,2-3 Fords. Never saw more than 9 or 10 cars at once. At the end the 62 "409" of Jim McKenzie and Paul Adams Fairlane were on the top of the heap. Around the 8.80 range.
Doug

Doug you are right they were going low nines at the time. When you guys quit they lowered the weight in the cars across the board by 200 lbs. A 426 hemi b car could weigh 3350. Back when you guys were running Mancini's b1 headed wedge had to weigh 50 lbs. more than a hemi. Near the end of that class a ss/a car could run at legal nhra weight if they used a 10.5w otherwise they had to carry an extra 50lbs. A legal tbolt the same thing. In the end the rules got real weird when they started letting McKenzie run a big block chevy because he had the only alum. 409 block and couldn't keep it together very expensive combo. A iron block could not even competitive. And the tbolt guys started using low riser heads to take advantage of the weight break and then raised the ports like a highriser. Charlie wescot was very competitive in that class with his war fish car. The first year I had my dart i raced that class a few times.

JAKES AUTOMOTIVE