Originally Posted by 68LAR
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I think there is WAY WAY too much time trying to make the linkage "perfect" when that is not the cause of the chatter issue at all. I have seen some really misaligned linkage before work perfectly my car included. It's inside the bellhousing, the flywheel, the plate or the disc is the issue here. Get the flywheel surfaced by a good machine shop then make sure the disc is not warped with a dial indicator and some type of lathe and a dial indicator.

As for solid motor mounts or motor plate if your stuff is balanced right there will be no severe vibration issues. Mine is smooth and I have gotten compliments on how smooth and quiet it is. Been running a motor plate and a poly transmission mount since I built my car about 30 years ago. The only clutch that chattered for me was a Ram sintered bronze 6 puck disc and a Hays race adjustable plate.

You have to start measuring from the crank flange then the flywheel to make sure you don't stack tolerances. Something is warped or bent somewhere.

Gus beer

I agree with all this except the tranny mount. None of what had been mentioned here will cause chatter. Dirty flywheel, pressure plate or type of disc material could and will cause chatter. One end of the z bar holds the nylon bearings in place. The other side slides free to compensate for engine torq. This doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s what the nylon bearings and the ball fittings compensate for. The other stuff mentioned will certainly help with drivability, but not cause chatter. Gus and I have been doing this for many years. Lots of experience between us. Just sayin’.

thanks for the input from both smile Please read the previous posts by me on this issue. Page 1 and 2 are good for a start wink
When the alignment is off to the point it is grooving the pivot studs it needs to be corrected. Yes I could slap it together as the previous shops did and shove it out the door but my conscience won't allow it. I would love to find the root cause of the alignment issue but the owners budget doesn't allow it. if it were not for the lateral misalignment shimming the L mount would get by. But then we'll also have a head pipe too close to the torsion bar. What I'm doing is not correct but easily reversible when his budget allows and will alleviate the alignment issue for now.

At 69 YO I've been around the block a time or two. Couple that with 25 years of engineering, 25 years of owning a classic car resto /repair shop and 56 years of busting knuckles. I am not trying to be rude or offensive but rather fill in some of the information you must have not had. Thanks again fo r your input and trying to help beer
I will keep all posted up