Replies to all:
Hotrod Dave: Don't know if you read the entire post but the car has been through two shops and two New clutches with ONE resurface that I am aware of. keep in mind the car is 55 years old so who knows how many over the years. It is getting all NEW components from Centerforce including the flywheel wink

6pak: No, but the metal tabs that retain the springs do frown
John RR: The fingers were definitely hitting the spring retainers on the PP side of the disc. The car when it came in, had 1/2" + of preload on the fingers with the clutch fully engaged (pedal released) I strongly suspect they likely adjusted the linkage (too long) trying to alleviate the chattering during their troubleshooting process, And that is likely where the marks came from. (BUBBA says OOOPS 😲🤫, that's a bit too much, git me another beer and back that off of a bit) 🙄
Sniper Initially the departure was somewhere beyond .125". Could've likely driven a greyhound bus through the clearance ( OK joking a bit).
Cudaman I use a high temp brake grease from bendix that does not melt nor contaminate friction material. I have a 12 oz tub of it that was given to me by a couple of reps from bendix quite a few years ago. The product has been discontinued (upgraded?). They at the time specifically mentioned pilot bushings as another application for the product. Having turned some pilot bushings in a lathe older ones seem to produce a noticeable amount of oil while newer ones produce much less. Same cutter, RPM, depth of cut etc. So, not knowing if it's a better lubricant, cost cutting or overseas MFG. I use a light coat inside the bushing and a very light film on the input shaft. haven't had an issue yet wink
Will keep all posted,
thanks up

Last edited by TJP; 08/18/23 02:23 PM.