i don't know how or why I get into these situations but they seem to find me eek
68 GTS 383 4 Spd. Owner took it to a shop as he felt the clutch was slipping. One of them selected a Mcleod Diaphragm street level clutch and installed it. When he went to pick up the car, the clutch chattered violently. Its the only word I can think of to describe how it came in to me. The shop tried several different things including modifying the clutch linkage. shruggy shruggy I do not know if they resurfaced the flywheel or not shruggy After several attempts to correct the problem the owner became frustrated and took it to another shop.
They resurfaced the flywheel to a Mirror finish ( Never seen that before?) And proceeded to install a new LUK diaphragm clutch and disc. They reworked the Z-bar and mounts again. it appears to be functioning but is not straight across. They also tried several different things and gave the car back to him at no charge.
I did a little tuning on the motor as it was running poorly and missing.
It definitely helped a bit but the chatter is still horrible and violent. Think of rear bad wheel hop, but worse
So far I have done the following:
1. Checked the motor and trans mounts. The trans mount is a bit soft but still in 1 piece. Cross member is tight
2. Removed the Override spring
3. Adjusted the clutch as it was way to high and not releasing completely (PP was actually preloaded a reasonable amount).
4. Checked all the rear spring bolts and mounts. He said they were replaced about 7 years ago with springs from espo and urethane bushings. Everything was tight and all the spring clamps were in place and tight.
5. Checked Crankshaft endplay (.007)
6. Checked pressure plate clearance at 6 places. All at .057 with feeler gauges
7. Checked clutch disc runout. All seemed even again at .057 with feeler gauges.
8. Checked the bellhousing as best as possible in the car
9. Checked the bellhousing bolts
I have not checked the pinion angle yet.

This is happening in forward and reverse while trying to let the clutch out normally from a stop. Once moving the owner says it's fine (not sure if that includes downshifting?
taking off in second (3:91's) helps but have to slip the clutch a bit.
The only thing I've noted so far is the mirror finish on the flywheel which I've never seen before confused
In closing, The wife commented that she could visibly see the back of the springs reacting to the chatter.
Any ideas before I pull the trans and clutch ?
TIA

Last edited by TJP; 09/05/23 01:11 PM.