Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You said linear shock for autocross. Would you also suggest linear valving also for this car in a Road Race application (Willow Springs)?

What kind of rate range at given IPS of adjustable shocks should I be looking for? Like between the 16, 13, 38, and 32 series which fits the range you suggest? Which ones are linear, digressive, progressive?

What about a non adjustable shock starting point?

Autox,

Tracks like Willow Springs or any faster road course will like the linear valving as well. The heavier the car, the more we can work with shocks to help performance....(Sporty cars are already built for handling, shocks are important to them but really important to guys running American Muscle on road courses)

Regarding valve ranges....we have seen a need to have shocks dampen at rates of 600#'s@6 IPS..That is over 1000# at 10-13 IPS. so I think you could look for a shock to be in this area as a good starting point to begin..Again, how serious your effort is and how aggressive you drive will help shape the shock. The good thing is shocks can be valved to do many different things when you have the shim stack/needle & seat design.

On the question of non-adjustable shocks, a shock package can be built that will give good service. However, you are fixed with that valving. In the case of one shock company I know rather well, one can purchase single adjustable shocks at a similar price and get more bang for the buck..

Thank you very much. That gives me some parameters to start with.

Now I look on the Afco website, how do I tell what rate and what liner curves each 16, 13, 38, and 32 series Afco shock has for my car?

I got these shock I had dyno'd below for song at a Swap Meet that were supposed to be front shocks set up for Road Racing. They are too tall for my car anyway, but the don't seem to have enough rate? Or are these rear shocks. Should the rears be 600#'s @ 6 IPS

Tests at 6 IPS and shock 100 degrees warmup..

The 16 and 13 series shocks are expressed in valve numbers.(They are fixed valve shocks)..An example is 1675 or 1375T. The last digit in this case represents the dampening. "5" is typically the mid-point in dampening from soft to stiff. The 32 series shocks are gas charged monotube shocks and are a good shock for hard road racing applications. They are designed for heavy usage and for road racing, will resist fading very well. Any valve code config can be developed in this series of shock. They are adjustable, single or double. The 38 series shocks are initially destined for drag racing...However, we can shape the graph to what is needed. Normally, the series of shocks you list are built with a digressive code for shelf stock...(There are some exceptions though-mostly circle track applications)

..Looking at your dyno graphs, those shocks will be significantly stiffer than OE. Also, they will provide an improvment in performance...I don't think we can determine which end these shocks were built for...Probably built to an application-what someone had some success with for the car they were working on...If you were replacing stock type shocks, these will be a ton better.

Have you ran them? If so, what results did you see?