Quote:

Quote:

I would like to know the difference in shocks, how they work, what makes one better than another, how effective the different types are etc

same here what is so different about the valving used by Santhuff as opposed to most other brands. What are the negatives of using them other than the outrageous costs.

A shock is defined as a hydraulic device that resists movement. Basic shocks have a piston on the end of the shaft with small ports machined in it. As the piston moves thru the column of oil, resistance is created. Only so much fluid can pass thru. The more force that is applied to the shock shaft, the more resistance is generated. Adjustable shocks are manufactured in many ways. Basic adjustable shocks utilize a ported plate that can be turned (by the adjustment mechanism) to cover (or uncover) the ports in the piston. If no restriction is selected, full flow occurs and the shock would be at the full soft setting for that shock. As you dial in more restriction, the shock gets stiffer. More advanced shocks use shims stacked on top of the piston. These shims vary in thickness, may have notches machined in them to allow flow and typically are stacked in a pyramid pattern. The theory here is that as force is applied to the shock, the oil acts on the shims causing them to "blow off". That is to say the shims go into a controlled flex. This action allows the shims to come away from the piston allowing more flow of oil. Now, add to this design a needle and seat mechanism. A needle and seat mechanism when used in a shock will control flow as well. The rule of thumb, like on a fuel pressure regulator is the deeper the needle is in the seat, the more flow is restricted>>>the more resistance is created.

So when you marry a shock design that has a properly ported piston, shim stacks that are built specifically to create the shape (on the dyno) that you are looking for and the needle and seat option, you can manufacture a shock that can control low, medium and high speed shock movements and make the transaction between all ranges very smoothly.

The real secret sauce is in how a shock company develops the valve curves and applys that technology to the type of racing one is working on..That is to say, if you can capture the data from a given application-you can measure how fast shocks move on a given car or typical suspension system, you can then manufacture a shock that adjusts within that proper operating range.

My example is that if you intend to work your engine in a range of 5000 to 7500 rpm, there is not much use in dynoing above that range.
Data acquistion systems are used to measure shock speeds to help shape the valving baselines of a shock program.

Some shocks are designed to be digressive in nature. Some linear and some progressive.
Digressive shocks blow off and do not get stiffer at the same rate as speed increases. (Picture two lines beginning in parallel lines. Speed is the top line, dampening is the bottom. As speed continues in a straight line, dampening begins to curve down.
Linear shock valving has both lines following each other all the way up.
Progressive shock valving is one where the dampening line goes up at a faster rate than the speed line...

One of the questions here specifically calls out a shock brand, what are the negatives of it other than cost etc.....It would not be proper for me to offer a comment here. I am not as familiar with that brand as they would be so my thought is it would be best to contact that company direct. Not ducking that question, just want to be fair.