Quote:

The answer is they can't, they don't have the electronic expertise. I did see a help wanted ad for NHRA a year or two ago looking for an electronics expert. The amount of technology out there now makes it an impossible task.

Not to mention the fact that any time the NHRA impounds a car to take a look people go crazy and whine about it on the internet.

The last good year I had at RT66 my car got checked twice for a delay box, and once for a Matty. Seems as though some people couldn't believe I could put up .00X lights footbraking a street car. Funny thing is that on the run that I got checked for the Matty Box I went dead on with a 2, but had a .110 light. The other guy was .019 but broke out by a day.

The counter for a Matty Box is just a wheel bearing with a rotation sensor in it. We used bearings similar to that in forklifts for steering position sensors. One little thing about it though, if the car pulls the front wheels even an inch the counter becomes useless.

By the same token, any type of traction control that takes over from wheel speed is useless for bracket racing simply because it is not consistent. Setting the car up so it won't spin in the first place is where it's at. Traction control is more of a worry in heads-up classes.

NHRA has tried to limit electronics in the Super classes. The racers themselves wanted nothing to do with it.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."