I was up and working early Saturday morning, but was really in no mood to diagnose faulty wiring, so instead I concentrated my efforts on packing the truck, and loading up for the trip to St. Louis.
Dale and James had spent more time welding up pieces for Dale's fancy new rack on the back of the Gremlin than anything else Friday night, so they started Saturday on the final tweaks to the suspension including a back yard front end alignment.
Boone and Dad both arrived, Rachael and Skippy were actively helping, and the morning hours disappeared fairly quickly. John and Opal rolled in about 11am, but I wasn't surprised, figuring he needed more rest than even he had estimated!

Darren finally showed up, and the tension of Friday was gone, as he marshaled as much help from Dad and Boone as he dared.

John and I loaded up on our portions of race fuel for the trip, and were packed up. Boone was the only one who seemed to be trying to pack for the trip among the brothers.
"Why race fuel this year John?"
"I'd like to run 10's at every track this year", he laughed, "Just a goal, but I think good fuel and a little timing will get me there."
"Does Dale have to do everything for these guys?" John came back with a question of his own, pointing towards the Charger.
"What do you mean?"
"I offered to help Darren get the engine back together, and started to put the rockers on...and he told me that he'd wait for Dale to do that! Last I checked Dale was pretty busy with the Gremlin!"
"Yeah...they tend to lean on that crutch pretty heavily...to the point that it's not actually fair to Dale." I tried to explain, but I could tell John was perturbed. Last year, he was a Drag Week Rookie, who had his Wife, Mom, and Dad with him, and was spending time around my family for the first time in many years. This year...not the same John. He was more assertive, more hands on, and...that was good!
By 2pm, the pattern was beginning to form...and it was one I'd seen before...Dale and Darren were going to work on their cars until the last possible minute, then pack up with barely time to make the drive. Fine with me, but I wasn't sticking around for the show, I cornered Dale and Boone and explained to them what I was thinking.
"Guys, John's like a caged animal, he's ready to roll, so I think I'll just head out with him, and that's less confusion around here for you guys to worry about."
They bought the story, and agreed with that course of action.
"John, the Brothers are imploring me to head on out, so they have less people around here to worry about right now..."
"There's still quite a bit to do...shouldn't we stay and help them", he questioned.
"It was THIER idea!" I shrugged.
With a little more prodding, he headed to his rig. The guilt I felt was faint, and fleeting...sometimes you just have to go with it! Rachael shot a picture of Darren's engine just as we loaded up to head out.

20150912_145452 - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines