I had ran some previous 13.0 passes on motor in the Belvedere, but Vegas would be my first attempt on nitrous, and as soon as I hit the button, I knew why Rachael had struggled so mightily to run the number on Drag Week 2014. That was the weakest N20 hit I ever felt in my life as I went 12.54-110. I called Dale immediately after the run, explaining my dismay, "I backed it down to a 60 N20 jet because that's what we had in the Satellite with the 3.55s and it felt like an animal".
Dale chuckled, "Totally different cam profile though...that ole' Crane Fireball was on a 112 with a ton of duration, no way that little Comp Magnum is going to react the same!"

I went back and put the nitrous jetting back to where it was with the 2.76 gears. Since the Belvedere still has the 5/16 pick-up and fuel line, with only a Carter Mechanical pump, I had always advised Rachael to let off the bottle just past the 1000' mark. I decided to run it out until it tried to nose over, just to find out where that was. Another problem I discovered by driving the car myself was the soft launches, the distributor just has too much curve, and by the time you back the total down to 30 for the spray, it's just plain lazy! I grabbed the bottle at the 60 foot clocks, and shifted both times at 5600. About 100 feet before the finish line with the ole girl at full song, I thought to myself, "This is about as fast as I want to go in a no-bar car!" Time slip read 11.55-120.1 and my first thought was "Oh, heck, I owe Rachael an apology!!"

030 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines