I pulled into the Loves truck stop in Grants NM, and decided I'd had enough for Saturday, and crawled in the back of the truck for a nap, figuring the morning light would wake me up. What woke me up was the feeling I was going to freeze to death in spite of the sleeping bag I had clutched around me. Those high desert nights in early Sept have a chill that works into your bones!
We had breakfast in Albuquerque, then I pulled over on the side of an onramp outside Moriarty to let Skippy drive for a while. This is a precaution my Dad used with us many years ago when teaching us to pull long trailers, you don't trade out in a gas station or parking lot, and give the new driver a chance to drag the trailer over the top of something on their first attempt!
He did fairly well, although he got a concerned look the first time he had to counter steer a bit on a curve. I looked over and sheepishly said, "That trailer has no problem letting you know who's boss, does it?"
"Yeah...it definitely pushes", he agreed.
"That's a bunch of weight for tongue type trailer, so you have to respect it", I paused for effect, "and more importantly, stay in front of it!"
We rolled into Dale's place around midnight on Sunday, and I was so tired and beat up from the road that I parked out front, and just rolled a sleeping bag out on the floor of the spare bedroom and crashed out.

Labor Day morning, we started setting up base camp for "Hell Week 2015"!

003 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines