Quote:

So, it looks like you got the distributor figured out

Up above you mentioned something about the IAC valve? I was thinking that'd be a pretty straightforward part of the swap

Since it mounts directly to the throttle body, either get an elbow adapter like shown in the very first link, or come up with another way to mount it to the intake.

Whether the IAC is a PITA depends more on what intake manifold and/or throttle body you plan to use. The Ford IAC is PWM (pulse-width modulated) while most GM, Dodge and universal 4-barrel-style use stepper motors. I believe somebody makes one of the 4V types with a PWM (Hitachi?) IAC that might be PWM, so check around. That's a high $$ TB, though.

So if you’re planning on putting the 5.0 stuff with a 5.2/5.9 throttle body (some guys in the poll said they’d be using the beerbarrel) or a 4-barrel-style TB, the Ford IAC won’t work without some mods to mount it remotely and ensure the original passage doesn’t leak air (that can be the harder part).

If you’re using a ‘standard’ converted intake manifold, then an Edelbrock elbow with a 5.0 TB on it is quite simple. For those in the lower-HP (or budget) domain, I recommend you check out the TB and elbow from a 4.6 Ford. Those TBs are 65 mm and good for around 245 hp (on paper). The 5.0 HO had a 60mm TB, and those engines can be tweaked above their 225hp rating before the TB becomes the restriction, so I’d bet the 65mm can go to 275hp or so. . The elbow requires an adapter plate to match the manifold but it would be a fairly simple one to make on a drillpress. Another option: look for a 5.0 Explorer, they have an intake similar to the Mustang but it has a 90° elbow that might be usable (and the TB is a 65mm unit, albeit different from the 4.6).

If you plan to mount the 5.0 TB right on top of a standard intake, the IAC will probably interfere with your aircleaner, as the IAC now points straight upward about 3". You could make a small thick adapter plate with cross-drilled passages to make it level, though. You'd also need some way to fasten the aircleaner. I have done such a configuration, and it fits neatly under a factory aircleaner.

Remote-mounting the IAC:
To remote-mount the Ford IAC, you’ll make a plate to cap-off the IAC ports, then drill//tap that plate for 2 barbed fittings that align with the ports. Run 2 hoses, one to the inside of the air filter region and the other to below the throttle blades. You might be tempted to T it into the power brake fitting, but don’t do that on a dual-plane manifold if that location is only in 1 plane.

Do something similar to the TB to block off the original IAC path. This is a little tougher as the passages are usually cast into teh TB and will vary based on what TB you use.

Get a roll of gasket paper from the auto parts store and get crackin’.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.