Quote:

My main point is EFI is really no better than a well tuned carb, but cost 6x as much. If you want EFI just say it, don't say you want it because it drives better or gets better milage.

Gotta keep beating on the belief that a well-tuned carb is as good as EFI. It can work well and is cheaper/simpler. That's where the comparison ends.

As an example of what the 5.0 EEC does (other OEM systems may do it also):
With TPS = zero and engine RPM > 1500, pulsewidth ->> zero. What this means is when coasting above 1500 RPM, the fuel injectors are turned off.

Carbs can't do that, in fact my AF gauge shows my 440 goes at least 1 full point richer when coasting. I presume this is because of the very high vacuum and the closed throttle -- the above-idle engine speed sucks lots of fuel out of the idle circuit.

I have observed this phenomenom repeatedly with my Lincoln. When coasting down one particular long hill in town, I generally see 125+ MPG by the time I hit the bottom. Last time I tried it I put it in neutral (engien went to idle so the strategy turned off) and only got about 75.

Side note:
If retrofitting a 5.0 (or probably any other OEM system) make sure to integrate the Vehicle Speed Sensor as the EEC uses info from that for saving fuel and also for a good idle when coasting to a stop. This is described in the Pantera link I posted earler.