I've been thinking about this again recently, and now I'm even more confused about the distributor Basically, I have no idea how the guy with the hybrid ford/dodge distributor has a running engine

Since the rotor rotation is opposite between ford (CCW) & dodge (CW), and the odd tooth is not symmetrical, running the Ford distributor backwards will produce a different pulse train in relation to where the rotor is pointing.

In the Ford engine, the rotor 'leads' the big gap (going CCW). Running backwards (CW in a dodge), the rotor would follow the big gap. And the small tooth would be on opposite edges. Now if you flipped the Ford wheel over, so the teeth are pointing up, then the pulse train would match the original engine when spinning CW.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Since apparently running backwards is close enough to work, I'd bet that if we shaved the tooth on the mopar 8 tooth wheel, it'd work just fine

I'm considering bolting together my 5.9l and making sure it'll idle before I build the 408. Then I'm not troubleshooting two new things at once

(Cool firing order/rotation site: http://www.boxwrench.net/specs_index.htm )

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.