Originally Posted by n20mstr
Originally Posted by GY3
I'm pulling apart the 505 this winter for a health check. No issues with it but after beating on it fairly regularly, I'm thinking I should give things a once-over.

While It's apart I'm putting in .027 Cometic head gaskets to replace the .060. It should bump compression up near 11:1. Hoping to gain around 30 HP or so from the change.

I will probably upgrade the main fuel line and pickup in the tank to 3/8" as well while the engine is out.

Goals are:

10.99 N/A
9.99 with the 250 shot
Drive it to the track and home.

All through the mufflers and on street tires. The pump gas thing may be out the window. grin

Have you considered E85?
changes sound good....Just be careful approaching that 300 threshold, it may like more retard than you expect. It all depends on how early the exhaust is opening. Just for comparison i would do a cranking compression test now, and after the changes. Then pump it every time you race. You will really be able to keep track of the engines "health" that way

I considered E85 when I first built the engine and talked myself out of it. Availability, hassle, larger fuel system, etc.

Very good idea on the compression check!

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.