I recently had heard some metallic sounds off and on when the engine was running. It sounded similar to when the flexplate bolts back out and make noise. I checked them and the converter bolts seemed tight but the noise persisted. I decided to pull the trans and check the crank to flexplate bolts as I didn't recall if I had used loctite on them or not and figured they may be the cause. I got the trans out and turned the engine over to be greeted by it "grabbing" in on area of rotation (rotating it from the flexplate side under the car). Had a neighbor do that and noticed I was hearing the sound from up front. Crap! The balancer ring has slipped. This (stock) one was supposed to be a temporary fix when the last one broke but I got busy and neglected to order an SFI unit. Lesson learned. The lesson here, kids, is that big strokers don't like stock style balancers! I guess the torque is just twisting the outer ring off then inner? It never goes over 6400 rpm and I'm not even close to that going through the traps. I have a new Trickflow TraxMax to put on when this 100* heat subsides.

balancer2.jpg

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.