I street raced from about 3 weeks after I got my license. I won some money "back in the day" but it wasn't about the cash for me. I also lost money, I broke, and crashed. I speed every day, which by CT state law (thanks Donovan) could be construed as racing. I've done track and street racing. They are vastly different for a ton of reasons. But given acces to a street, vs limited access to a track, I'll race the street.
All this means is I'll still watch my DVR'd SO, and I won't re-join, or seek an NHRA license. I'm years away from having my car ready but everything I noted above was chosen by me. If NHRA wants to choose for me, I choose to not be part or their organization. Pretty simple really.
I think Chief and the others get it. Right now it's about the money, even for them. If and when the show goes away, it will just be about the racing.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.