Quote:

Well in my opinion I am surprised it has taken this long. I would be interested to se if there was any other motivation to do it. It also seems a tad but hypocritical given what some of the bigger names have done in the past or are accused of and nothing happens. However it is there ball and there game and it IS in the rulebook.

I saw a quote from someone at the NHRA that it may be a case where cars wearing NHRA competition numbers and displaying NHRA decals maybe be a large part of the issue. At that in their minds(NHRA)it shows those people are representing the NHRA and it's racers. If that is the case a simple warning as they got and asking them to remove any reference to NHRA in terms of decals, numbers etc be removed from the cars. Possibly this would help to alleviate any perception the NHRA has that they condone ILLEAGAL street racing in any form, TV show or not. Likely could have been handled better than it was.

While some like to point out that the races are on closed down permitted streets, airports etc. They certainly DO NOT promote it as such. Many of the racers are members on yellowbullet and gladly admit they test on public roads when need be. Thus admitting they are taking place in an illegal activity that does fall under the NHRA's personal conduct clause that ALL of us who hold I license or membership are subject to. After all we do not have to be members or hold a license we CHOOSE to. I know some are trying to justify all this as being legal the show is not promoting it as such. And there are plenty of people who I guarantee think it is really illegal street racing.

I don't follow the show like some for sure. If there is nothing going on and I am around I will watch it. I don't like all the phony TV drama that seems to come with just about everything on TV anymore personally. While it is great for the aftermarket parts suppliers to maybe sell some parts and certainly to reach people through advertising, since it seems everyone is wearing some manufacturers t shirt anymore I do not see how it helps organized drag racing at all. Which seems to be a point some are making. I can see it however having a similar affect to Fast and Furious where more people get out there and street race, endangering others. But maybe I am wrong but I have not seen an influx of new blood at the tracks for sure and IIRC this is season 5 of this show. In the end the show will run it's course, and yes these guys do run at sanctioned race tracks.

I have seen what some of them have said about it and they may want to rethink their stance if they wish to continue to do so in the future. A couple of the "guest" appearances are guys who regularly compete at NHRA sanctioned tracks. They have shown Tulsa Raceway more than once that I have seen and it is an NHRA track. The PSCA runs it events at NHRA facilities as well. Not saying they cannot go elsewhere just saying they may want to rethink the current public relations strategy, on both sides honestly. But the show WILL end and those guys WILL want to continue to race. I feel confident the NHRA will be around after street outlaws goes aw

QFT

For perspective, change the players:

If a high profile NRA member suddenly began a super popular TV show glorifying "outlaw hunting" (aka midnight poaching) you can bet your butt the NRA would try to put as much distance between that member and themselves as possible. It might be popular and ultimately draw people into the sport of hunting and shooting, but it does so in a manner that disparages what the NRA stands for.

Same deal. NHRA want people to know they are absolutely not a part of what happens on SO's.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020