Hi all, presently just an observation.

Keeping in mind my fan install is in a Land Cruiser heavily loaded and used off road often in 50°C heat. During fan testing (and I test anything going on my 80 very thoroughly), I notice the main fan cables that are direct to the battery get quite warm when the fan is flat out for more than around five minutes.

The power being pulled during this time is circa 45 amps, this ties in with pretty much what is expected with a 600 watt motor, so worn bearings or other problems with fan can be discounted. The plug and cabling is as per supplied via Dave (Hooziewhatsit) with the PWM controller, I gather this is how Mercedes supply it. I did mention the cabling was not particularly heavy considering the amperage and Dave confirmed it is as per Mercedes, so happy with that.

Now I am thinking it would be rare for one of these fans to be run at full speed for any length of time, given their output and used in a typical on road use scenario so the cables may never be 'pushed' however, it may happen when I am on a long hot climb fully loaded, so thinking worse case scenario here.

When the fan arrived it came with a pigtail, I had kept this and noted the battery wires were substantially heavier. My first thought is the thinner cabling that came with the new plug may be for the 400 watt fan which is used on smaller engines? So, the plan is change out the plug with one that has heavier cables, purchasing the plug is easy enough but they do not come with any terminals? At the moment I am struggling to get my head around that, anyone purchased a plug recently that came with terminals?

The fan and PWM controller continue to work faultlessly, I have made one or two mods, one being tested as we 'speak', this is the post shutdown timer, and this allows the PWM controller to keep the fan on despite the ignition being off. The small circuit that changes the PWM signal to a steady state for my dashboard LED is also good.

So, just a change of battery cable methinks......if I can get the terminals?

Regards

Dave