Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Originally Posted By madscientist
I never did figure where it took a million dollars to research a spring. A type of spring that has been around for well over a century.

It goes back to racers wanting to learn, or take the easy way. The easy way is to use SS springs etc. I bought my first 4 link in 1986 and every single person I talked to except 1, told me to run a ladder bar. The 4 link is too complicated, don't need it...all the regular bullcrap.

Glad I bought the 4 link. I had to learn. And most of what I was told back then was wrong.

When I built my car long ago, I insisted on using a 4 link, despite knowing next to nothing about it. But I wanted to learn how to run one. Now, the technology and theories continue to evolve as power levels go up and I continue to listen to what smart people have to say. Bracketry has changed, geometry has changed, anti-roll bars have been developed, shocks have come along way from the days of the 90/10s.
Not that I'm knocking it - I love old school - but the only reasons to use any of that old technology is for the nostalgia/old school vibe. Want to use leaf springs? Great. Use something current for a serious effort.

there's guys in the 6's on Radials with leaf springs. I'd say that's a pretty serious effort.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!