Quote:

Well said! Mainly im curious as well as to what the "actual" cost will be! However Im sure that would vary also ! but atleats that way people dont get "sticker shock" when they go pick up the discount stroker kit from their machinist.

I'd have to go look in my records, but there was significant labor in getting my parts all squared away.

Not huge, mind you, but it was a significant amount compared to the $15XX.00 kit that I had believed to be 'ready-to-run'.

That's why I think threads like this are great - the next guy will have a better idea what he's getting into.

Quote:

Quote:

......................My 4.25" "B" crank from 440 Source had .0015" taper on all 5 mains; the crank snout was off .001", the rod journals were straight, but the radii were so large I had to make some pretty heavy cuts on Clevite HN (narrow) bearings.

(snip)

-Bill

I used one of those cranks too, and the indexing was off .035", so I sent it back (since it couldn't be offset ground and fixed) and got another.......Did you have your indexing checked?
(snip)

Yeah, the crank was checked in a crank grinder; the only real issues were the mains being tapered and the large fillets on the rods.

I elected to not grind the rods, and just cut the bearings... $$$... I'd already bought the bearings, and couldn't see a significant advantage to the quality of the engine to buy more bearings and grind the rod journals too.

Although my laziness might have won out if I hadn't already bought the bearings.

Curious to see what BG finds with the rods. I picked a bunch of chips out of the area where the hollow dowel goes into the rod on some rods, and filed some substantial burrs off the rods at the parting line caused by the honing. My machinist also opened up the wristpin bushings a little bit (a couple tenth-thousandths IIRC).

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?