Quote:

I know that nothing is "perfect", thats why there are tolerances. But as a point of reference, how do "stock" mopar cranks measure out in regards to journal taper, concentricy, and indexing? A lot of folks take factory stuff and reuse it with out checking anything and don't give it a second thought. Just an honest question that maybe some of you machinist that have checked a lot of them can answer.
I too am looking very seriously at a 440 source kit.
Thanks, Brian

This, as Bob pointed out, is a good question.....but....engines from the factory were made to drive you up and down the road, not to be flogged all the time. How many times have you seen somebody take a stock motor, add a cam, some headers and some other "go fast" parts, only to have it expire in shortorder. This is where the term "blueprinting" came to exist. You went to the junkyard, rescued yourself an engine and corrected all the little things the factory missed, you "blueprinted" it, made it right, it made power and lived. These days people buy parts, with the impression they are right, but many times they are not. The phrase, "you get what you pay for" may be more true in engine parts than anything else. In my mind, I can't possibly expect a $500, 4340 crank to be right. Because I know what it takes to get it right and you can't buy the material and do it right, for that amount of money and make a profit.

Monte