The radiator and fan shroud got in so I spent the last few days getting the cooling system done.

I was pleasantly surprised when the shroud came in to find out it was metal (I was pretty much expecting fiberglass). It fit the radiator well and except for having about a 1 ½” gap at the top (which was easily remedied) couldn’t have been better for the project.

I got the grill out and was working at a pretty good clip on Saturday afternoon.

Then the electrical substation up the road decided to go out. It was 103 degrees outside when the lights and coolers went down. Fortunately the last time the power went out for any length of time a couple of years ago I got around and wired my generators in. This time it was just hook up a battery to the generator throw a couple of switches and I had power again. My generator is enough to power the house, but a too light for the welder and compressor, so I just kicked back in the house for the next 14 hours until the power came back on.

The radiator and shroud is a tight fit in the grill shell, but it does fit, along with the transmission cooler.

It would have gone a bit easier and (and would be a bit easy to service if I have to in the future) if I had set the engine back a couple of inches further or used the short BB Chevy water pump instead of the long one, but it is what it is. I’ve got enough room to get to everything and I’m very happy with the depth of the fan in the shroud.

There is a lot of room between the top of the radiator and the grill shell (that I wish I could have found a taller radiator to fill). When I get some time I will probably find or build an overflow tank to fit up there.

I’ll probably get around and order the controller for the transmission later this week so I can go ahead and do the wiring next.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)