I've been making a bit of progress on the 37. I was to the point where I needed to get a floor in it before I could do much else. The 37 originally had a metal floor in the bed (big selling point for some back in the day). Somewhere along the way the floor was cut out and by the time I bought it there was only a badly rotted piece of plywood kind of covering the bed. Fortunately when they cut the bed out they did weld in bracing to support a new floor.

It's still up in the air about what it will end up with when the truck is painted and pretty. I've kicked around putting a steel floor back in it, using aluminum diamond plate or doing a wood floor. For now I just decided to go with wood and ordered a set of bed strips.

I didn't want the floor to look too good at this point so it just got a light stain and some Thompson's water seal.

With the floor in I got the gas tank mounted and fuel lines run and pumps and filter installed.

That left putting the battery somewhere. It was originally located under the passenger side floor in the cab. I figured that I would either keep it there or maybe move it under the floor of the bed. The dual exhaust pretty much eliminated both of those areas. That just left mounting the battery in the bed of the truck. Until I get the paint and body work done I kind of figured a shiny new aluminum or stainless battery box would look out of place .......and I knew I'd hate the look of a plastic one. I was going to fabricate a battery box out of some old painted metal I had to make it look a bit aged. But came up with this idea of using an old tool box if I could find one big enough. I found a decent one on E Bay they didn't want an arm and leg for that I figured would go well with the rest of the truck.

It's even big enough that I can throw a hand full of tools.

With the tank and battery done, the truck was finally able to move under its own power for the first time. I was just going to back it out of the shop so I could clean the bay out (really ).

Of course that turned into taking a couple of laps around the arena :LOL::LOL . I still have a ton of stuff to do but at least it moves under its own power.

Last edited by Mike P; 04/30/17 11:46 AM.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)