I’m shooting to set the engine and transmission in the truck tomorrow, so I figured I’d get the cable kickdown sorted out this afternoon. I order the El cheapo kickdown kit off E Bay and basically got a bag-o-parts with a cable and a handful of brackets……instructions would probably been usless for my application but it would have been nice to receive some.

For the carburetor end I modified one of the supplied brackets to hold the cable end of the cable and then fabricated a bracket to attach to the center carburetor. I made the carb bracket with several adjustment holes to ensure I would have enough adjustment when it came time to fine tune the kickdown. The bracket is functional, works well, and is easy to get to, but not very pretty.

The reason I didn’t spend a lot of time on the bracket is that once the kickdown is dialed and I’m happy with the adjustment it will be a simple matter to change the 2 center carburetors side to side and the brackets and cable will be hidden between the 2 rows of carbs.

The transmission end of the cable was pretty simple, just one small bracket to build to hold the cable end. I did install the mechanical end of the shift linkage to make sure there wouldn’t be any interference issues with the kickdown and shift linkage.

I’m glad I got the cable installed while the transmission and engine are still on the stand. Once the cooler lines, electrical wiring and shift cable are added it’s going to be a little crowded on that side of the transmission…..and not a lot of fun to work on from underneath.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)